25 March, 2020
How We Are Responding to COVID-19 at Smart Eye
As the entire world faces an unusual public health emergency, the global coronavirus pandemic is affecting all of our families, our businesses, our communities, and our way of life. During this time, we wanted to reach out and update you on how we’re approaching the situation at Smart Eye.
First and foremost, our hearts go out to anyone who’s been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly. Our thoughts are with those who are sick, to whom we extend our heartfelt wishes for a full recovery.
As COVID-19 continues to impact people and organizations around the world, the health and safety of our employees, customers, partners, and communities remain our top priority. Smart Eye is committed to maintaining our operations and supporting our customers to ensure safe, secure, and uninterrupted operations throughout this global crisis.
In the beginning of this month our CEO Martin Krantz announced a new set of measures to help protect our people from coronavirus. Since we want to stay transparent towards our stakeholders, we would now like to share Smart Eye’s approach and actions towards a healthy workplace and business operations:
1. If you have the possibility to do your work from home, do it. Make an agreement with your closest reporting manager and do your magic back in the splendid isolation of your own home. If you need to bring home something like computer, screen etc. you may do so.
2. If you have to be in the office to do your work properly, you should do so. In the office we encourage everyone to be careful and use sound judgement, we should wash our hands for 20 seconds, and remember to sneeze in the arm if need be.
3. At the smallest sign of a respiratory disease you MUST STAY HOME! Even if your symptoms are very mild you should stay home until you are entirely symptom free (for at least 48h). This includes sneezing, runny nose, fever and other symptoms.
4. Use the phone, Skype, Teams, Facetime or some other digital meeting service as much as is possible.
5. We should not receive meetings at the office unless it’s absolutely necessary, try to make them digital.
6. Our office manager will clean several times per day all daily used appliances such as coffee maker, dishwasher etc. Still wash or disinfect your hands before or after you are using things that everyone touches. We will put out hand disinfectant bottles at these stations.For our overseas offices, we urge the employees to follow the guidelines of local authorities and use common sense, safety should come first when deciding the course of action.
7. Business trips are only approved if they are absolutely necessary and are going to places not affected by virus, keep track online on where you can go and don’t go. Improvement can be given by the management.
8. We have decided to lower our operating costs in order to conserve cash. The cost reduction program entered into effect immediately. Special emphasis is placed on ensuring that the numerous delivery commitments to the global automotive industry are met. This ensures the financial stability for operating the company for at least 18 months. The company retains readiness to quickly scale up if Corona related uncertainties improve.
The scariest part about events like these is the feeling of helplessness. The feeling that this is bigger than we are. That might lead us to believe there’s nothing we can do. But that’s not true. We all can make a difference by good citizenship, by following the guidelines by the WHO (World Health Organization) and your local authorities, by maintaining our daily work, perhaps helping our next-door neighbor with the groceries, finding different ways to entertain ourselves, and just take care of each other.
Lastly, some wise words from Martin to our colleagues all over the world:
“I am very pleased to see that so many of you are able to work from home. This is great, it helps to keep yourself and your families less exposed and it slows down the spread of the virus, as we are instructed by authorities to do. Remember everyone that after rain comes sunshine. We will weather this storm together and there will be a time when we’ll go back to normal circumstances again. I’m looking forward to that point, but for now let’s show the rest of the world what we can do as a company when we are putting all our efforts and determination into it. I have full confidence in all of you.”
Let’s protect each other, stay calm and we’ll see you online!